PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 6th Mar 2014, 11:34
fujii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True

-What are the working hours? 9am-5pm Monday to Friday?
Usually 0700 to 1500 although there may be later starts/finishes depending on number of courses and simulator availability.

-Is there ever weekend work/'learning' required (at the centre, I have read work at home is often required)?
Weekend work, no. Homework yes. For example, you need to know your separation standards thoroughly. There is no time to look them up in the simulator.

-How is it taught? For example, I am used to university with a lecture and then tutorials. Obviously I realise its not the same, just wondering what to expect if I were to make it. I am aware there is simulator training but that comes later, so more directed at what at the start.
Training is intense and doesn't let up. Subjects are varied. Human factors, navigation, air law, principles of flight, instrument charts, aerodrome surfaces and markings, radio and radar plus a lot more. That's before you get near the simulators where you really work. Classes are usually one instructor with a group. Lots of note taking. It is not a lecture environment. You can always ask a question and encouraged to do so.

-What is the uniform? Shirt and tie? Or is there an Airservices Uniform?
No uniform, just neat casual although many trainees wear the Airservices T shirts.

-In terms of final placement, I realise there is the whole 'we will try and accommodate your request but no guarantees' line. Realistically, what are my chances of ending up in Tamworth/Coffs etc as opposed to a capital city (this is for Tower obviously)
You have answered your own question.

-The Learning Academy... is it just in with the control tower/enroute centre at Tullamarine? Separate building but very close.