PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 6th Mar 2014, 08:17
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to agree that handing has deteriorated badly in our liability society where pilots are taught to drive aeroplanes rather than fly them!

Too many students are not taught to land properly carrying a fear of operating near the ground and a lack of confidence in handling wind shear and crosswinds!
You can almost sense their crossed finger approach to landing hoping all will turn out ok rather than being in control!

The same with the modern principal of recovery at incipient leaving many pilots scared of the big bad bogey man that lies beyond if they get it wrong!

Technology has advanced with leaps and bounds and many are too reliant on button pushing and autopilots rather than strong handling ability!
All well until things go wrong and we see spates of needless accidents where pilots fail to recover and if they are lucky pull a chute!

Even the FAA are looking more at handling after the airline crash where the pilot failed to recognise what was happening and used incorrect recovery techniques

Spinning should be brought back but with aerobatic qualified instructors in aerobatic capable aircraft! I see this as vital not just because the pilots will be more confident with what lies beyond but so they can fully appreciate the difference between spirals and spins and quickly identify and rectify either

Pace