PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You Calll Yourselves Pilots
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2014, 04:04
Jack Ranga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just moved onto IFR twins, previously VFR mustering so radio calls weren't used much, When I'm coming in let's say from xxx where I'm based to Townsville, Would it be prudent to advise the controller that I'm at TOD (Brisbane control CUY is approaching TOD for Townsville, request descent)..? Assuming I was tracking for an ILS. Or would it be unnecessary? Every pilot I've asked has differing opinions on this but thought you might have the definitive answer.

I know I should have it under my belt but that one phase has me stumped atm.
After clarifying what this dood mean't, he's asking how he should phrase the clearance request when his TOD of descent is OCTA.

Warning: Townsville is RAAF, I'm not sure how they process this or what CO-ORD takes place between BN sectors & Townsville.

This is how I process this with a Procedural tower in my airspace:

* Your estimate is given to the Tower by me, depending on the sector boundaries this can take place before you are on my frequency.

Just say the base of CTA is A085 and you are at A090, your TOD is 35nm but the Tower Control Zone boundary is 15nm (Ground to A045). Your descent profile will take you OCTA then back into CTR.

* I will co-ordinate your TOD with the tower in subsequent co-ord.
* The tower will issue me with a level to issue to you.
* This level will NOT be below track LSALT or Grid LSALT unless you have reported visual & the tower knows you will stay visual.

My phraseology to you will be somewhere along the lines of:

'CUY, cleared to leave and re-enter controlled airspace on descent to A050, no reported IFR traffic OCTA'

Just say the base of CTA is A090 and you are at A070, your TOD of descent is 25nm but the Tower Control Zone boundary is 15nm (Ground to A045). Your TOD is OCTA and you will be on descent entering CTR.

* The tower will have your estimate and cruise level. If I'm pro-active (I try to be ) I will have asked you for your TOD and I would co-ordinate it with the Tower.
* The Tower will either issue me a level to issue to you and I will issue a clearance to you on their behalf OR they will tell me to tell you to expect a clearance on descent to A050 (The same descent rules apply).

If it's my clearance on behalf of the Tower:

'CUY clearance, enter control area on descent to A050, tracking xxx to xxx, no reported IFR traffic OCTA'

If it's the Tower's clearance:

'CUY, expect a clearance on descent to A050, no reported IFR traffic OCTA, contact xx Tower on 123.45, hoo-roo'

In this case I will transfer you well before TOD.

AIP tells you to give a 2 min prior to TOD call, one of the reasons for this is to give me 2 mins to assess traffic (if I haven't already, but probably have) It also allows me to co-ordinate with the Tower (if I haven't been proactive or I've been busy )

Other units may process the above differently