PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bouncy bouncy
Thread: bouncy bouncy
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2003, 17:17
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guilty as charged. In every aircraft I've ever flown - although the Europa is, without a doubt, the worst. Touch down even slightly early, and you're in for an uncomfortable time.

A few weeks ago, I was having an IMC lesson, at the same time as a new member of my Europa group was getting checked out. Well, the new group member was progressing well, and his instructor decided to send him out for some solo circuits. Shortly after that, I taxied out with my instructor.

We timed it perfectly. Finished our power checks, quick look down final approach - ok, one aircraft turning final, we'll wait for him to land. Hmm, that aircraft looks familiar. Then the radio call from the aircraft on final confirmed it - it was the new group member, about to do his first ever solo Europa landing.

We watched him fly down final. We watched him round out pretty well. Then he got impatient, and balooned, just a very tiny bit, barely even noticeable. "He's messed it up" I said. "What do you mean? That looks perfect!" My instructor has never flown a Europa - her idea of perfect works very well in a PA28, but not in this beast. Seconds later, the main wheel touched down, then immediately launched itself back into the air again. One wing dipped slightly, followed by some yaw, but he was quick on the rudder, and managed to keep it straight through the next four or five bounces, although the wings did rock a little.

My instructor looked at me, and said "Ouch, that was bad." "Oh, that's nothing," I replied. "I've done far worse than that and lived to tell the tale. But it makes the good landings much more satisfying."

FFF
--------------