PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL BLOG
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2014, 22:28
bekolblockage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gnad

I'm not sure what type you are flying but we really are concious that a lot of the newer types have difficulty in making a 3 in 1 (~5%) descent gradient outside of the IAF unless they have the speed right back early, which is not what we want.

By way of example, we have had several representations from operators that the CANTO arrival is just too steep from MURRY.

Now when we designed and tested it rigourously in the B777 sim, it worked well in several extreme wind scenarios, albeit at least 1/2-3/4 speed brake was required for much of the arrival until after SILVA. But we designed it close to the limit of what PANS-OPS allows and what we understood the operators wanted. With 42 track miles from 13000 its right on the money at 5.1%

It now turns out that the 330s and -8s ,to name a couple, really struggle, so we have taken steps to lower the crossing altitude at MURRY.
In line with recommendations from the FMS manufacturers, rather than a hard level requirement, you can expect to see a window of F110-130 at MURRY come into play in around May. We need to give the FMS coders 2 AIRAC cycles notice to get it in the box.

We had to do a fair bit of airspace reorganization to do that as there is quite a bit going on in the sector below up to F120.

Hopefully that will allow everyone to fly their desired profile in future.

P.S. I'm waiting fr Nitpicker330 to come on and tell me 130 isn't a problem. I assume he's on the 330! ;-)

Last edited by bekolblockage; 5th Mar 2014 at 23:19.