PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2014, 20:36
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hec7or

tell me, what do you do when the pilot monitoring has to do two things at once like answer the radio and move the heading bug or altitude alerter?

or God Forbid, what if the pilot monitoring has been busy making a PA announcement while the pilot flying is hand flying and has to answer a radio call?

My airline has a similar SOP but it also allows for other methods to accomplish the tasks at hand. It specifically allows for the PF to set the altitude alerter, airspeed bug etc if the PNF (pilot monitoring) is busy doing something else. With a quick double check when back "ON".

I'm so sorry that an increased workload is so tough on you, but it also makes for the side benefit of increased hand flying skills for the other pilot.

I'm so happy that the CAA was so complimentary to you. Did you get a Victoria Cross for working the radio and setting the altitude alerter and heading bug all at the same time?

FOLKS, if automation is going to be so good for everyone, did anyone think it might replace the copilot? JOB SECURITY!

And hec7or. Is there any conceivable situation where autoflight and the pilot monitoring would all be inop at the same time?

Oh my, what would we all do?