PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career as an Instructor
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2014, 20:28
Mattyemm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career as an Instructor

Hi this my first post here and I'm looking for some/any/all advice because I've decided to fulfil an ambition and becoming an instructor.
I have a PPL (gained in 2003/renewed in 2012) with just over 400hrs and I'm about to start the CPL/ATPL ground school. I love GA flying and I've done some great stuff gaining hours glider towing in a supercub a life time ago and doing my aerobatic course last summer (I have my first competition coming up).
I love teaching (instructing is part of my current work) and I've had the fortune to be taught by some great and passionate flying instructors and I've wasted time and money with some of the other. I don't have delusions or desires of an airline careers, GA aviation is what I love and I want to combine this with my passion for teaching.

So to the questions:
1/. Recommendations for good CPL and FI schools/courses around the Bristol/Gloucester area. West london area is also an option.
2/. Have I missed anything important with the transition to EASA (most likely). I was intending to go through the ground school then the CPL and FI flying courses is this still the route to take and if so what are the pit holes to look out for.
3/. My headmark is to be able to do this full time and return some of the passion and experience that I've had the privilege to benefit from. What are my chances of full time employment? My club has already said they would have weekend work for me and maybe more in the summer but what is the general employment market like?
4/. I know the pay will be low but looking ahead what's a realistic level to aspire to after experience, extra ratings, qualifying as an examiner etc.