PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL BLOG
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2014, 15:44
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
One particular occurrence I have noticed with increasing prevalence is the shortened base turn that follows speed reductions. It happens so regularly APP/ director recognises it and advises the track miles to run. Speed reductions and increased descent rates in jet aircraft don't work! Would it be possible to maintain aircraft speed and add another mile or two??

Ka Boy

You have speed brake, flaps, gear and your three times tables! Jet aircraft are perfectly capable of the adjustments you mention.

ATC controllers throw it back at the airlines and say you are trying to facilitate economies through track shortening and their pilots are incapable of coping. Pilot descent and speed management inside of 30 miles is woeful- I'm tired of sitting in trail behind HKG pilots dragging their aircraft in and being so low on profile the TAS differential becomes a factor in ATC separation.

It has become so endemic in HK airspace that I sit on a comfortable jet descent profile and get asked by ATC if I have sufficient track miles to run!

I suggest ATC talk to airline management and use simulators to assess the prevalence of this profile laziness.