PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2014, 15:10
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of interesting observations for me over the last few days:

1. After years of supporting Labor policies and thinking it might leverage back room demands from the new gov. based on corporate size and bully-boy tactics, Qantas is getting a public black eye from the Lib/Nats to toe the line and keep out of the affairs of government. Special access to the corridors and ears of Canberra will not be available under the Lib/Nats. Take the whining about unions and employee costs elsewhere. Every other company has the same issues and Qantas isn't special. (:0 (Hand clapping.)

2. Any inquiry into Qantas proposed by the Libs/Nats is a transparent threat directed at Qantas and I doubt any further action will eventuate. Significant and irreversible damage to brand names can be accomplished with relative ease during a drawn out government inquiry even if there is nothing illegal to be discovered. (Some might argue: even better!) Hints and innuendos can be used to wonderful effect at an inquiry and the media loves it. Surely Qantas management isn't stupid? :P

Message: Stand on your own two feet Joyce and Clifford. No more sympathetic government ear. (Sounds of raucous applause and cheering from the stadium!)

If it hasn't done so already, the Qantas board surely must be starting to realise that Joyce's strategies of cost cutting and union confrontations followed by media swooning, have been far more damaging than beneficial. When it steps back for a holistic view, the board might notice that cost cutting and bluster is all Joyce has in his bag of tricks. The rest is fluff. There's nothing else. I doubt Joyce and to a lesser extent, Clifford, have much in the way of business or political credibility remaining with which to advance the causes of Qantas. I wonder when the board will take action: forced, if necessary.

Last edited by Lodown; 5th Mar 2014 at 16:05.