PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it like as an FO in the first years? (when you are from the North)
Old 5th Mar 2014, 07:01
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mbwings

There's very little I can add to the excellent advice and warnings you have received so far. Given your domestic situation and the fact you say that you have a "good job" IMHO I think you'd be mad to chuck it away and set off down the road of an "untagged" integrated course.

with more commitments and a young family, this also needs to be considered. Following this, may it be dependant on the training program completed (such BA FPP Program, Easyjet MPL, etc), and are any programs better suited for people in my circumstances?
If you insist in a career change but want/need some sort of domestic stability then yes, then BA might work for you, after all there's certainly base stability, i.e. only LGW & LHR, there are many from "up north" who work for BA who do manage to commute to/from London. Be aware that with BA, just like most other airlines, if you are flying shorthaul (which you would be initially) and you don't move your family home closer to the base you won't be"..away from home time to time... ", you will be away from home most of the time, certainly in your early days in the company..

The "down side" of the BA FPP option is that I suspect it is much much, much..... etc, etc...., more difficult to get selected for a place on the FPP than buying your own slot on an "untagged" integrated course at an FTO of your choice.

Last edited by wiggy; 5th Mar 2014 at 09:51. Reason: deleting duplication/spelling.