PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it like as an FO in the first years? (when you are from the North)
Old 4th Mar 2014, 20:19
RTN11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really am baffled by all these horror stories. I've met a few people in similar situations, but none quite as bad as some listed here and on other threads.

What on earth are they doing at Oxford etc that convinces all these people to part with so much cash? I've never actually visited an integrated flight school, but they must have a very impressive sales department.

From the unemployed integrated graduates I have met, the common theme seems to be a total lack of research, and no proper plan B. Just because someone once told them they would hopefully get a job with Easyjet or Ryanair, they just took that as a fact, and thought if they stumped up enough cash then it would all sort itself out.

My plan A was to go modular, delay the IR and get an instructor rating instead, then do the IR when I had more hours, and worry about looking at airlines then. While I was instructing for 3 years I made some amazing contacts, saved a load of cash not having to do 2 IR renewals, and when the airline job offer came (while I was actually on my MCC course) I was in the perfect position to accept.

This plan was set on the basis that I would be instructing and basically earning minimum wage for at least 2 years, it ended up being 3 so even my worst case planning wasn't up to much.

But the people I've met where Ryan air was their plan A with no proper thought to plan B is ridiculous, I just struggle to understand how people who are smart enough to get their hands on £100k are so bad at judging how to spend it!