PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do with your ATPL if airline flying is not for you?
Old 4th Mar 2014, 20:09
RTN11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, lets clear up the termanology (sorry, but this really bugs me). You will never have an ATPL without flying for an airline in a multi crew aircraft - the clue is in the name Airline Transport Pilot Licence. What you are training for and will have is an EASA CPL.

With your background, and if you still have passion, I would pursue instructing. This can be very rewarding, and a lot of people are able to do it alongside another (proper) job and make ends meet.

The other thing is that you seem to have written off airline flying, have you actually had much exposure to a real world day to day commercial flight deck? It's a lot of fun, great banter, amazing views, and basically being paid to sit back, relax and drink coffee. I honestly can't imagine a better job, it really is a dream come true, so perhaps you could find away to find the passion you once had for it.

I still instruct and glide in my spare time, so have the absolute best of both worlds.