PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it like as an FO in the first years? (when you are from the North)
Old 4th Mar 2014, 18:02
clunk1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Integrated? You must have missed the wife/kids/mortgage bit bealzebub

But it probably is your best chance of getting a job which will pay your mortgage each month mbwings...

I was modular.

Integrated would around 86k on an 18 month full time course hundreds of miles from home. A further 20-30k on a type rating (IF you get offered a cadet position), another 3 months away from home, then spend perhaps 2 years before getting your preferred base.

I'd say you're looking at an outlay of £100k+ over 2 years with no income in that period, minimal chances of a job, and if you do get a job a further 2 years away from home.

60k after 2 years is all well and good but my understanding is that some cadets get paid very little in the first few years (not enough to pay for a mortgage/wife/child/loan repayments etc).

Pilotman330 makes an important point about having an alternative option in case you don't get a job at the end. Heed that advice if nothing else... But don't make the alternate option "sell the house". I saw two people I trained with sell their homes in order to keep current after training (with the wife and kids still in them! I you not)...one is now divorced, the other is in a caravan with the wife and kids. And THAT is the reality at the moment.

Good luck anyway...

Last edited by clunk1001; 4th Mar 2014 at 18:21.