PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do with your ATPL if airline flying is not for you?
Old 4th Mar 2014, 15:03
wilga_pzl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with your ATPL if airline flying is not for you?

Hey folks, I'm seeking to get some creative (not necessarily) advice here.

To start with, let me quickly introduce myself. Quite standart story i guess. Fell in love with aviation at, say, 5y.o., joined local flying club at 14 where flew with all available gliders (including competition ones) for 4 years and couple hundreds of hours, at 17 started my PPL flying and few years later got a fantastic opportunity to work as a glider and banner tow pilot logging couple hundreds of hours on old radial tail draggers PZL-104 Wilga and its big brother PZL-101 Gawron (oh gosh those things are wicked,LOVE them! ), got some experience in GA maintenance and sight seeing flights also.

Now i'm finishing my EASA ATPL Frozen (month or so is left) and found myself standing at a crossroad. Until now i was absolutely positive that my biggest ambitions were to fly for any local airline as FO,but now realised being too young (or just naive) to sign a couple years contract to fly 6 days per week for a domestic airline redeeming type rating cost. I guess we all become pilots not to just sell our souls to domestic airlines and fly the same route for decades.

But what the other options are? What i supposed to do if i want to travel the world for a couple years getting some adventures flying? Ok,ok, i know the options, bush flying in Alaska or Africa,glider towing in New Zealand,flying seaplanes in Maldives, sight seeing flying over Grand Canyon and so on... That would be more than perfect of course. BUT! Are those opportunities real? Considering I have EASA license,EU citizenship, around 400 SEP hours,IR,MEP, no connections abroad and a HUGE willingness to fly? Oh,and i mean flying not for food and beer,but for decent money, that would be enough to pay ATPL training debts and buy some food

Big thanks in advance!