PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2014, 14:59
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was the case, a few years ago, and not that long, when an upgrade command check required an ILS on SBY instruments: those pokey little thingies no-one ever looks at. That is what they were there for, the final back up. If you knew the attitude and power settings, and could manipulate the controls in a manner akin to driving on ice rather than ploughing a field, it was quite possible. Even on B733 classics, B757/B767 with a Loss of AC it was necessary, but I wonder how many upgrade courses demanded it. Perhaps the XAA's should have done so. (Indeed, now there is a thread creep: how much input do they have into commander's upgrade syllabus, or do they just rubber stamp the airlines internal course?)
Back to the plot: along comes the B737NG and an option is a PFD + MAP on SBY. Great for safety, of course. So why still have the SBY's? except for analysing the rogue instrument when a disagree is seen, perhaps.
An occasional raw data ILS in the sim as a recurrency is all well and good, but it is not a pass/fail. Should it be? Should a captain be able to fly a mini-SBY ILS on 2 engines? Yes. It's basics. These manoeuvres are the crux of being in control. All this gliding dead-stick stuff is great for the bar, but as likely to happen as a pay rise/pension plan in a LoCo. However, training, testing, exhibiting basic skills which could and should be used every day is another matter. It would raise the bar back to somewhere whence it once was and put some fun back into for the dreamers. It'll make the pax feel better knowing there is a real pilot up front. As a CP it would also make me feel more comfortable knowing my guys could most likely get themselves out of whatever hole they had found themselves in without digging deeper first.