PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS 1354 NTSB Investigation - CVR
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2014, 13:56
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Showbo:

Nope.... GlobalNav is correct. With the exception that the crew would have selected NAV instead of LOC for the roll mode (and an interim step-down fix prior to BASKN), the two procedures would be flown the same way. The nuts and bolts for Final Approach Mode are the same for both IAPs.
My "low end" Garmin WAAS navigator provides "LNAV+V" on the RNAV 18. So, in this case it is flown like a precision approach, albeit with NPA obstacle clearance. If an LNAV IAP has a VDA on source, Jeppesen codes the vertical path. I would think in general terms most modern air carrier FMS systems would provide a Baro VNAV path when the source includes a VDA and Jeppesen codes it.

If not, then a guy with a Garmin WAAS navigator is better off on Runway 18 that the big package delivering bird.

I flew the 767, but it was so long ago that VNAV was not even authorized.

EDIT TO ADD: I checked with group I work with who are both avionics designers and biz jet pilots.

They told me that the Collins, Universal, and Honeywell FMSes would provide an "advisory" Baro VNAV path in the BHM RNAV 18 final approach segment.

Last edited by aterpster; 4th Mar 2014 at 15:23.