PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR Walt?
Thread: SAR Walt?
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2014, 11:34
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just popped back to this thread to see what's new.

Can I just add a few thoughts.
This chap may have been in the RAF, and maybe even in the Sqn he claims but perhaps in a totally different trade (or perhaps there is an ATC cadet Sqn with that number etc)

The fact he was looking for a course to enable him to teach first aid at work courses maybe just that. Being a medic at any level would not entitle you to be able to teach HSE first aid courses, you would still need to have the teaching cert.

He probably is a qualified bushcraft/survival instructor but that doesn't mean he has any military training or experience in this field. I myself am a qualified bushcraft instructor, and as far as I can see it literally means that someone who has no knowledge of bushcraft has printed something out for me and nothing more. From the qualifications I've seen the 'average' bushcraft qualification is just worthless and in no way has any connection to proper outdoor instructor Qualifications that have to be earned (mine certainly wasn't earned, and was dropped into file 13 pretty quickly)

Although his school seems a bit rubbish IMHO lets not confuse military survival priorities with general survival. When looking at the average student in his video I couldn't see many of them even being old enough to join the military, let alone be anywhere dangerous.

So, if anyone is really upset by this and wants to call Walt and is really on the outrage bus about this, just get the bus to collect a load of current SAR bods and get them on a block booking on one of his courses