PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 22:00
R T Jones

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
After a 12hr 4 sector day when I get off the plane the first feeling I feel is not fulfilment!
If you want to fly an aircraft for the pure delight of flying then do it as a hobby, when you do a hobby as a career, it soon becomes just another job. Lifestyle, is not what it was 20 years ago and I don't think ever will be!
For me, the salary commanded is not for the complexity or day to day flying, but for when **** hits the fan, or even more likely, stopping them getting that far. The responsibility of a captain in my eyes is pretty big, the buck stops with them.
As has been said, most days by the end of it I barely remember where I've been or what has happened. I'd like to keep it that way. At the end of the day, its a job, that provides me an income and time off so I can do what I want. For me, it does that.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the views, the sunsets and 99% of the people I work with are lovely and excellent fun. I feel I had quite a lucky break, straight into easy jet after flight school. An unsecured loan which I am now able to pay back and have a reasonable lifestyle. Ok yes I am 4 years in so it didn't all appear straight away.