PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Tails the pros and cons ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 20:18
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UV, it is perhaps the most commonly asked question I get. What is it like to fly. I have a V tail Bonanza. Beautiful, I always respond, just like a mini airliner to fly. What about the V tail comes the response. I fly a number of types, and it is difficult to be specific, because most types are different, in certain degrees.

I am only familiar with this one type of V tail. It requires good speed management, but that is due to the very clean airframe, a great Beech design. It requires more rudder input than other similar, high performance SEP. it requires 'on the ball maintenance' due to rigging, corrosion, and trim tab positioning. It requires the pilot to be ahead of the aircraft, but then this has nothing to do with the V tail. It does waggle a bit, some have yaw dampers fitted, mines does not, but a good grip on the rudders can sort this out. The fleet is older, and a lot of serial numbers have had a lot of upgrades, making individual aircraft that can have quite different flying characteristics. I am totally smitten by it, and I truly love flying it.