PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lengthy superfluous checklists and airmanship lookout
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 13:30
Biggles78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learnt to fly at NZCH and before solo I had memorised the 112 pre engine start to post engine shutdown checklist for the circuit and none of this reading off a written checklist rubbish either.

Downwind was BUMP, Brakes, Undercarriage (fixed or down) Mixture (pump on, check pressure), Pitch (fixed or full fine).

Out of the circuit to the training area play ground it was FMHR. Fuel (change tanks if necessary), Harness on (they were never off; hatches were never opened in flight, funny that) and Radio (request joining instructions).

Turning Base, crank on the flap, Carb Heat on, set approach speed.
Finals, Carb Heat off, (cowls open if on a real aeroplane ), final instrument scan and reduce speed.

Why is everthing being complicated now. Watched a Youtube video of some guy READING their prestart checklist in a PA28. Took him ages. What is difficult with:
Brakes on
Fuel Fullest Tank
Mixture Rich
Carb heat cold (primer locked if used or checked if not)
Throttle Set
Master On
Fuel Pump On (check Pressure)
Clear PROP
and Crank

WHY does that need a written checklist? 35 years and it is still fresh in my memory. The only issue I did have was flying the same jump aircraft for 18 months and then climbing into something else. ATC replies included the jump aircraft callsign just from habit. After wrong reply number 3, I then looked at the rego that was located on the instrument panel before responding. Highly embarrassed as I considered myself a professional. A very good lesson for a 400hr TT beginner.