PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 11:18
CompleteElite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's the pride?

Every industry is doing it tough. People are getting laid off left, right and centre. That's how it is. We laid off 100 employees last year (probably 70% of our workers). I'm in the construction industry currently transitioning to a career in aviation.
I am 28, and completing my CPL.
My current job is good, I earn great money, but it doesn't fulfil me. I don't have any pride in my job. Its just a job. A boring, job that pays well.
I've always wanted to fly. Every time I put on that uniform and my wings, I feel so proud; full of pride.
I'd gladly take a pay cut to be in the air every day.

Surely every professional pilot out there, flying big/small jets was aware of the lifestyle!? Its no secret. You don't fly aircraft for the lifestyle or money, you fly aircraft because you want to fly aircraft!

It seems tough, but if you truly, whole heartedly know and feel that you belong in the air, then that's where you need to be.
Nearly every pilot started out in the same frame of mind, with the same determination and heart. To fly because its what we're passionate about. Like so many pilots have said who are contemplating a change "hmmm, but I'll miss it if I leave". How many people can say that in the workforce? I won't miss construction, that's for damn sure, or the MONEY.

But if you have no pride in your job, and its not fulfilling, then leave. Like my first boss said when I was an apprentice at 17, "If you have pride in your job, and pride in your work, you'll always have a job, and you'll always have work".

Maybe I'm just being naive, but I work hard, and have kept my job when times got tough because somehow the people above me knew I was an asset to the company because I did my job well, and took I pride in my work.

By the way, I know life can be demanding, and hard.. long hours, poor sleep patterns, diet.. but its not ALL bad, ALL the time. Surely there's moments of appreciation for what you have.