PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dangerous Goods Dill Code Z on PAX ETOPS
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 23:19
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
In my understanding of the introduction of this code, it's as a result of the UPS and Asiana B747F crashes as a probable result of bulk cargo shipments of Li batteries. In both cases, it appears the aircraft both lost control after the fire burned through the exposed control cables running the along the top of the cabin after about 20 minutes.

The Z code makes scary reading, particularly when you consider what "immediate landing" means. It essentially requires you to put the aircraft down now. This means NOW!. On a highway, in a field, in the desert, or even in the sea. Just do it NOW, or you run the risk of losing control of the aircraft and everyone on board being killed. It's considered better to take your chances on the slide rafts in the middle of the pacific.

My company does not allow carriage of bulk cargo Li batteries on pax aircraft treating them as CAO only. PM me if you want to know which. I would be interested to know which company you fly for - so that I can avoid it! I suggest you take a copy of the ERG with you to the "chat" to point out the implications involved. Also, I would recommend a trawl through the IATA DG manual to find other companies which do the same as mine in banning bulk shipments. (We do allow them installed in equipment such as iPads, but these aren't covered by ERG Z).

There have been two freighters brought down by Li batteries. It's only a matter of time before it happens to a pax aircraft, and then everyone will be asking how it was allowed to happen knowing what we already know. I suggest to embolden yourself and ask your management if they have really considered the implications. Personally, if my company hadn't already banned ERG Z shipments on our aircraft, I would have taken the same action as you. As it is, my company management has had the sense to say no.

Last edited by Dan Winterland; 3rd Mar 2014 at 00:45. Reason: spilling.