PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight pilot Red Arrows near-miss
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2003, 00:08
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I recall an incident, later in the same month, when I did check the NOTAMS, failed to see in 30+ pages of largely irrelevant text an airshow going on and was only saved later from my own severe embarrassement by an early radio call to an airfield en-route, which was holding said airshow. So, I think that the defence of the NOTAM system chaos would be useable - if he'd tried to check the NOTAMS and failed to spot the report.

Notwithstanding that, it would appear from this that he didn't check NOTAMS, and didn't make any radio calls to local services which would have alerted him to the show going on.

I do ask myself however if prosecuting somebody who made a genuine mistake, has admitted to it, and says that they've learned from it is either sensible or consistent with the "no blame" philosophy we are supposed to try and operate in civil aviation.

G

N.B. On a purely technical point, this was reported elsewhere as the aircraft type being a Pulsar, which is a homebuilt light aircraft, not a microlight. Credit where it's due

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 17th Apr 2003 at 00:21.