PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best places to fly to/over in Western US
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2003, 22:37
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon. There are a couple of corridors you can use, or alternatively land at Grand Canyon airport, walk to the other side of the airport and take a tourist - the licensed tourist operators are allowed to fly below the high-level corridors for a better view.

Las Vegas is spectacular by day, never flown over it by night but it must be fantastic. North Las Vegas airport is a nice place to park once you finish flying so you can gamble some money away.

Sedona has some oustanding scenery. Contact "Pink Jeep Tours" and they will pick you up from the airport. Make sure you brief yourself well, though - the runway is on an incline, so you'll be landing uphill and taking off downhill.

Fly into Tucson, and share the runway with everything from Boeings and Airbuses through to F16s. Once you've landed, get a taxi to the Pima Air and Space museum - and don't forget to go on the tour of the aircraft graveyard, the bus leaves from outside the museum and you can buy your ticket when you pay for museum entrance - that's probably the place you're thinking of.

The hills out to the east of Phoenix look pretty amazing from the air - loads of lakes add to the view. Can't think of anywhere particular to land around there, though.

That's a few ideas for starters! I logged 100 hours out that way around 18 months ago. Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you want any more advice, or else post questions on this thread.

Any room to take me with in a suitcase?

FFF
---------------