PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 13:27
armchairpilot101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was growing up I would have done pretty much anything to be a pilot. In the end I was forced to give up on the idea as my eyesight was not good enough to pass the medicals. Best thing that ever happened to me.

I know a number of pilots of varying ages / seniority and the general consensus is that the industry sucks these days. And I don't see it getting better anytime soon. Airlines constantly cutting to the bone to make profit and expecting pilots to pay for their own training, putting them on contracts that offer little job security etc etc. And to top it all off, I am not convinced the flying is very appealing with terrible work/life balance and 98% of the task basically systems monitoring. There are a few lucky ones out there that love the job and have very good employers/ employment terms but they are few and far between IMHO.

As for me I am lucky enough to work in an entirely different industry earning way more than the highest paid Captains out there and I get to travel around the world a lot (for both business and vacations). So my advice....if it is getting to see the world that motivates you then there are a stack of careers to consider out there that offer better pay, better security, better work/life balance and more rewarding career...and if you still have a passion for flying, get a PPL and do some real flying at the weekend.

Good luck!!!!