PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it like as an FO in the first years? (when you are from the North)
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 10:23
EK4457

Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mbwings,

I would give you my hard luck story but I'd just be repeating what has already been posted here several times.

If you get a 'tagged' cadetship then you might get lucky with a UK base. Equally you might not get a job at all.

If you're going it alone, you must be fully aware of these 2 points that have already been made;

1) If you think the biggest problem you will face once qualified is the hassle of commuting down south then you really need re assess your expectations in a big way.

You will have done extremely well to get EU. UK jobs are lottery wins.

2) Do not fall into the trap of thinking you're different and that the airlines will see that you 'shine'.

You'll just be another one of a sobering number of unemployed fATPLs.

I trained with someone who's dad is a training Captain at a major UK airline. He's not even had an interview in 6 years.

Thousands of people really have spent 50K-100K with no job and no realistic chance of getting one.

Since I've qualified, 2 friends have asked my opinion on flight training. Both would make excellent pilots. I discouraged both. One took my advice and one didn't. You can guess the outcome I'm sure.

I would not recommend flight training to anyone. Full stop.