PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East or stay at home ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 01:09
nolimitholdem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahhh. Harry the Cod. One of the foremost defenders/rationalizers. Dependably predictable.

Except - where is the moaning? I pretty matter-of-factly stated my observations of interactions with former colleagues. Simply that once you clamp on those golden handcuffs, you don't really have much choice but to believe and proclaim it's a great deal. (Or become an alcoholic). The missus and kiddies pretty much guarantee that.

Sorry if that seems like negative vitriol to you, but it would seem that's something you're a bit familiar with yourself.

Perhaps you could instead refute my comments about the finances of joining now as a longterm FO with a family. Instead of your usual tired "hey it's working for me" schtick. It isn't the company you joined 10 years ago with the opportunities you availed yourself of 10 years ago. You've convinced yourself the financial benefits for yourself were/are worth it. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. I won't even disparage it as "pathetic and ignorant", mostly because doing so might imply I give a sh$t what you think.

Perhaps the suspicion of self-justification comes from the long, earnest posts extolling the virtues of the place and the job. Do contented people really have this need? Perhaps the comments that aren't quite so glowing are to provide balance to the powerful forces and massive budgets of the Dubai/EK PR machines. A touch of reality in a very phoney place.

If you think the unhappy are in the minority, you've only proven my point about insulating yourself from reality. Do not mistake employee retention rates with employee contentment. More people stay due to circumstance than choice, which was why the advice to stay away if you aren't inclined to shackle yourself down for a decade or more.