PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight pilot Red Arrows near-miss
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2003, 20:45
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPRuNe Radar,

I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree with any of it. But I think the point which rustle is trying to make is that the change to the Notams system did cause safety problems, and although every effort has been made to resolve these problems, no one from any official body has so far admitted that any of the problems were safety-related.

Of course this pilot should have made every effort to obtain Notams before his flight (or his change of route). So should every other pilot who stopped reading Notams when the new system was introduced. Many people have admitted falling into this category - and although the responsibility falls firmly on the shoulders of the pilots concerned, it would be nice to hear someone admit that the skies were less safe after the introduction of the Notams system, for whatever reason.

Anyway, back to the case in hand - glad that everything worked out ok. The fact that the microlight was spotted shows the professionalism of these guys - how many of us, flying much slower aircraft, have trouble spotting a lone microlight pilot, let alone spotting him somewhere we're not expecing him to be? Well done to everyone concerned.

FFF
---------------