PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2014, 22:31
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me for being suspicious, but I am minded to think that if the passionate, but unplanned, do actually win on emotion in September, that this will remove any political need for BA to continue serving "outlying regions" of the UK north of the border which would allow them to reduce services from GLA, ABZ & EDI and reallocate slots at LHR to more lucrative routes. Scotland will become as far as BA are concerned, just another mildly interesting tourist destination on the fringe of Europe.

Overall, I would predict that if this happens, we'll get a service similar to that of Norway and BA will get over a dozen slots per day to re-allocate.
BA don't need to reallocate slots at present, it has enough since the purchase of BD. What it lacks for now is suitable aircraft to operate new thinner longhaul. In due course these aircraft will be available.

The traffic between LHR and ABZ/EDI/GLA will still be there, the oil industry still needs access to/from LHR, BA will still be the only carrier on LHR-GLA.

The only difference if Scotland separates from the UK will be arrivals using the common travel area route rather than the domestic one.

BTW, BA does not have a "political need for BA to continue serving "outlying regions" of the UK north of the border", these are served by BE on PSO arrangements. BA operates the major domestic trunk routes.