PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ramp Check Advice From CASA.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2014, 21:55
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Ramp Check Advice From CASA.

It was just brought to my attention that CASA has published a guide to undergoing a ramp check. At last! I thought. A definitive guide to exactly what I must do to survive a ramp check! CASA has actually listened to the pleadings of GA pilots who want to know exactly how to comply with the regulations....

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...-checks-ga.pdf

So I started reading:

1. Licence and medical certificate, check. ...But where does it say I need photographic ID in the regulations? I usually do, but if for some reason I have just had my wallet stolen does this mean I can't fly?

It also doesn't say that if I need glasses then I must also carry a spare pair, that requirement has tripped up a number of people.

2. A navigation/fuel log?? I generarrly pencil my position and time on my chart to prove I've ascertained my position every half hour as required by the regs, but a fuel log?? I do a fuel plan before I fly to ensure there is sufficient and then some, but a log? I guess I can, but what do they actually want?

Weather and notams, check, downloaded from naips either printed or electronic on my phone or iPad.

Time limitations? Me???

Appropriate current charts and documents? Here is that word again..... appropriate What is appropriate? Appropriate by whose standards? I'm flying a bay scenic, the VTC covers the area, do you want me to carry charts for the maximum possible range I can fly with my current or former fuel load in case I get a rush of blood to the ehad and take off in another direction? What documents? I have ERSA and sometimes the visual flight guide, , you want more? For what? When am I going to read them without an autopilot?

Are you using an EFB? Too bloody right! Ozrunways! But what are these "considerations" of which you speak??? Is this just another "gotcha"?

Have I submitted a flight plan (if required by AIP) Me? Probably. Are you going to check if I've complied with it?

3. Ahh the aircraft....

Maintenance release signed off and kosher, check.

Flight manual up to date. How the *&^% would I know? It comes with the aircraft.

Checklists up to date and accessible? They are in the manual, again, how would I know if they have changed?

Evidence of weights, check. I do weight and balance and write it down when I'm touring. That usually means full fuel, the missus and half a dozen bags. I do that always at the start of the trip. She can't lie about her weight either..

Cargo weights and appropriate securing equipment... There is that word again.... appropriate! Appropriate by whose standards? I use the best Bunnings ratchet strap tie downs or Spectra rope that is stronger than steel... Is this appropriate? Yes I know its not certified, so does that mean I get busted for using non certified parts as well as not using the "appropriate" Cessna cargo net?

Load sheet, check.

Required emergency equipment? What equipment? I'm not flying over water and I have a personal beacon.

So I guess I'm none the wiser...and what about all those stories of nitpicking and suchlike???