PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Still some horrible landings every now and then..
Old 1st Mar 2014, 10:26
Uplinker

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts
WST, you keep asking this question. You have been told many times by many people how to do it.

You need to read again what has been said then APPLY it when you fly, and use the method which works for you.

The overall most important and significant thing to do is look at the FAR end of the runway as you approach it - not the tarmac 100m ahead of the aircraft, but the FAR end of the runway. Eyes outside the cockpit now.

When the rad alt says 30' start to flare and OBSERVE by looking outside how your rate of descent decreases by reference to the FAR end of the runway - you will get a different perspective and you will be able to see the runway 'coming up to meet you' and you can easily see the ROD.

Forget all the cockpit instruments, your eyes should be outside now. You need to reduce the rate of descent but not completely - pull up until you can see just a slight residual ROD and you will settle onto the runway nicely. Don't reduce power too soon, and don't pull reverse until all the mains are down.

When my landings are getting 'crunchy' or 'floaty' I usually find it's because I am not looking at the far end of the runway.

Using this visual method will take into account differing landing weights, because you will automatically adjust ROD until it is the same for all landings.

Out of interest, what flying experience and which types have you flown prior to medium/big jets?