PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 1st Mar 2014, 09:08
Art of flight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As MG points out, there is no mention in the RFM of a specific quantity of unuseable fuel after both xfer pumps are failed/off, simply because the manufacturer can't possibly know when they might both fail. Therefore they specify the expected amount that can't be transfered when one fails and this qty is dependent on which one and flight conditions as specified in the RFM.

It would seem to be general logic that if pumps are required to move fluid from one tank to another by design, and all the pumps stop working, no more fluid can be moved, thereby leaving that fluid in that tank. What worries me is a case of a 135 aircraft being operationally able to dispatch (in line with the MEL) with only one serviceable xfer pump, in that case I would be very cautious about operating near the endurance of the fuel in the supply tanks...ie...if the remaining xfer pump stops now, can I reach fuel, or execute a safe landing with what is in the (full) supply tanks.

I agree that the NVG cockpit lighting in the 135T2/P2 is very good, it produces a good range of muted colours, ie the fuel graphic is still blue, the cautions are yellow etc, they even changed the very annoying orange High Nr light to a very annoying green light! One mod might be to replace the hard to find dimmer up/down push sensitive rheostats with old fashioned knob. Once you've dimmed the instrument lights it can be hard to locate the finger tip sized panels to adjust it again. But again, it's a matter of living with it.