PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal Tales
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2014, 08:59
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,622 Likes on 740 Posts
1970s, when RAF mess kit required the soft shirt for less formal dinners and a stiff starched wing collar shirt for more more formal occasions.

RAF regiment is providing the guard at Buckingham Palace. SOP is the guard commander has to be in mess kit to be called to attend dinner if a missing guest means numbers have to be made up. Junior regiment officer is called and dutifully attends dinner on best behaviour.

At end of dinner said officer is approached by Duke of Edinburgh and thanked for attending etc. Duke then enquires, knowing rules, why said officer is wearing a soft front shirt, did he not have a wing collar available?

"Oh yes sir!! But we were told they were only worn for special occasions!!...

-------------------------------------

Reference railway stations.

Back in 1960s, when uniform was worn for travel prior to IRA campaign, a Sqn Ldr detrains at Paddington enrolee to MOD and is accosted by a little old lady (LOL).

"You there!!", demands the LOL addressing the SL, "take my bags"; and marches off towards the taxi rank.

Slightly bemused/amused SL grabs LOL's suitcases and follows her to a taxi and loads them for her.

"Thank you", says LOL, "here's a shilling", thrusting a coin in his hand.

"No need", says the SL graciously with a smile, 'I'm a Sqn Ldr, not a porter".

"Oh, I am aware of that", says LOL with an equally gracious smile, "Junior officers only get sixpence!"