PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Potential impact of Scottish independence on flights from Scotland
Old 1st Mar 2014, 08:40
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by perthsaint
We've been in the EU for 40 years. Sweden wasn't.

Spain's position has been stated publicly on a number of occasions. No other state has ever raised any issues. Why would they?

I really fail to understand Spain's stance on Scottish Independence. I know people talk about Basque or Catalan independence as being the cause of their reluctance, but they are not the same thing. If Scotland votes for yes then it will be a democratic process agreed to by both the Scottish and rUK government. The UK Government has already stated it will fully support whatever result the voters return, so why Spain is going to kick up a fuss is beyond me. The only way Spain could possibly compare this to it's own situation or that of Kosovo (who they also disagree with) is if the SNP used terrorism tactics (as in the case of ETA), Independence was announced against the wishes of the parent state and the parent state also refused to recognise the new states status (as in the case of Kosovo) or the parent state refused to acknowledge or even provide the residents with a legally binding, mutually agreed to referendum (as is the case with Catalonia).