PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2014, 03:35
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone answer this for me. Not too sure how accurate it is,
from The Age article today about the timeline of Qantas going down.

It occurred while the Qantas QF30 Manila Oxygen bottle incident was happening and relates to Geoff Dixon telling Borghetti he did not get the top job at Qantas.

My query is, why do you pull the senior manager out from a crisis to tell him news, that although important to him was not life threatening ?

It's a bit like Christine Nixon getting her hair done and going to dinner while the Black Saturday fires were occurring.

"As lives were hanging in the balance on that fateful flight almost six years ago, the board of Qantas, led by its relatively new chairman, Leigh Clifford, were working on a plan to purge senior management ranks. To this end, chief Geoff Dixon - who had been tarnished a year earlier by a failed private equity bid for Qantas - was asked by Clifford to pass on the news.
Peter Gregg.

He was to inform internal candidates Peter Gregg, the chief financial officer and a board member since September 2000, and John Borghetti, who was responsible for Qantas domestic and international operations, that their junior, the 42-year-old Irishman Alan Joyce, had got the job they wanted.

Borghetti was pulled out of the Mascot crisis centre, which he was managing, and told to come to the city urgently. He jumped in his car not knowing if Qantas had lost the aircraft or any of the 369 passengers and crew.
But after racing to the city, he learnt that the purpose of his summons was to be told the news about Joyce.

Read more: Mayday: How Qantas went from national icon to corporate tragedy