PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2014, 22:25
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crude page counts & adjusted??

Kharon:
I particularly dislike the cunning use of (adjusted) without explanation and the sly, thinly veiled, derogatory remarks made as part of the McComic nonsense speech.

Glad to see that the adjusted, in brackets, didn’t get past your scrutiny “K”…

Adjusted: A small (past tense) derivative of adjust, which is defined as…

“…alter or move (something) slightly in order to achieve the desired fit, appearance, or result e.g. "he smoothed his hair and adjusted his tie"…”

The synonyms are interesting…

“…synonyms: modify, alter, regulate, tune, fine-tune, calibrate, balance..”

Definitions aside, what is it intended to indicate in the DAS’s (soon to be retired) missive??

Not wanting to enter into any crude, or tautological, or tendentious arguments on the subject of page counts of other jurisdictions aviation safety regs, so I won’t. However it is an interesting exercise to explore the part where the first (adjusted) comes up. It was in reference to a crude page count assessment on the intended CASR Part 61 vs the current FAR Parts 61/63.

Note: The words intended & current are crucial in this as they go to the reason for adjusted (in brackets).

If you briefly explore the history of FAR Part 61/63 you will find that the original (or intended) Part 61/63 was first made active some 30 odd years ago (I think 1978?). More interesting is that it had far earlier origins and was basically a carry-over (copy if you like) from the US Civil Aeronautics Act 1938, which then became the FAA Act in 1958. Part 61/63 in that interim period was listed as a CAR (Civil Aeronautics Regulations).

As we all know once proposed legislation or regulations become ‘live’ they grow with the times. {Comment: Case in point is the CASR 1998, that crudely put, has grown from 190 pages to 2186 pages.}

So in the interim period, of 76 years, FAR 61/63 (formerly CAR 61/63) has naturally grown as times change…

Hmm…I think…...that is what the DAS (STBR) obscurely means by the word adjusted (in brackets)…