PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it like as an FO in the first years? (when you are from the North)
Old 28th Feb 2014, 19:31
mbwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is it like as an FO in the first years? (when you are from the North)

Hi,

Just hoping to get any advice and words from the wise regarding taking the step into pilot training and the initial life afterwards.

I would appreciate any guidance on the few years after training. My circumstances are as follows:

Good job, home owner, married with one child and live in the Yorkshire area. My wife is supportive of this and I/we are used to shift work, long hours, away from home time to time, etc. I appreciate that this is expected in the early years and I fully expect it. Just how much of an impact is it though?

I am trying to explore more on base postings and commuting in these first few years. Is it more than likely that first few years of FO life will be at one of the bases down south or is there now equally a chance of being based up north? Is there a north/south divide (excuse the term!).

This would not mean as much if I was single, but with more commitments and a young family, this also needs to be considered. Following this, may it be dependant on the training program completed (such BA FPP Program, Easyjet MPL, etc), and are any programs better suited for people in my circumstances?

I would appreciate any advice regarding the above or anyone who has had similar experiences in the above circumstances to pass on their guidance.