PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2014, 18:19
karanou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone who goes into this industry without gaining a degree life skills and another career as a back up first and who doesnt manage to minimise flight training costs to the levels oompa loompa did really are setting themselves up for a very tough time.

Dont allow yourself to get sucked into the big fto marketing dream and pay top dollar and go directly to the RH seat of a jet at ryr or ezy. I can assure you that you will be a very long way from having made it at that point. No matter what the schools tell you.

I went part time recently. Still use my degree. Money is better and shifts are much better in my other job than the locos (I too was lucky to avoid) -unfortunately friends followed the ctc/ezy and the oaa/ryr path and after an initial period of delight just 2-4 years down the line are actively trying to get out. At 2 years you definitely wont have got anywhere near paying your debt off, also unlikely at 4 years. Dont worry about the fto or the loco this situation suits them perfectly. As they appear to have a never ending supply of cadets with access to obscene sums of money.

The job isnt what it was certain quarters mainly the locos are trying to lower both pilots ts & cs and the profession standing - even down to pilots wearing anoraks and plastic coats (do a search on here). This is forcing virtually all operators to follow suit in the race to the bottom.

There is some excellent advice on here, mine is simply an opinion.
Best of luck