PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Potential impact of Scottish independence on flights from Scotland
Old 28th Feb 2014, 17:46
Flying.Penguin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential impact of Scottish independence on flights from Scotland

Evening Ladies and Gents,

First time poster but long-time reader with interest. The reason I have decided to finally sign up and post is because I have some rather specific questions and I hope some knowledgeable people here from within the industry can give me an informed answer, rather than the uninformed nonsense coming from point scoring politicians.

With the referendum on Scotland independence just a matter of months away, I was wondering in the event of a yes vote what impact would this have upon Scotland’s airline and tour operator industry.

I think it’s safe to say an independent Scotland will not gain automatic entry to the EU, and why should it, so what effect could this have on flights between Scotland and the continent and in particular those operated by low cost airlines. For example would Easyjet, a British airline still be able to offer flights between Glasgow and Berlin if Scotland is not part of Britain and the EU? Similarly, for example, would Ryanair, an Irish airline still be able to offer flights between Edinburgh and many EU destinations if Scotland is no longer part of the UK and the EU?

Another question I have is regarding long haul flights. Now my basic understanding is that the likes of United Airlines, US Airways and Emirates will be able to operate into an independent Scotland without issue but where there may be an issue is with Virgin Atlantic. Would Virgin Atlantic, a British airline still be able to fly its Glasgow-Orlando route considering Glasgow would a non-Britain and non-EU airport?

Am I also right in thinking that Thomson and Thomas Cook would have no option but to cancel all flights from Scotland to more exotic destinations such as Mexico, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Egypt etc but you cannot have a UK/EU based airline operating flights between two non-UK/EU airports, which is what, for example a Glasgow to Cancun routing would be.

Thank you in advance for any information.