PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2014, 12:45
ayroplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One issue not all that prominent in all of this has been the potential disconnect between the unions and the members. On this occasion members have voted and you can't argue with that, but at various points over the last few years the unions have definitely NOT acted in their members best interest. Those chickens have yet to come home to roost
Not sure whether this was in relation to Aer Lingus or DAA but I read somewhere recently that the staff themselves don't really want to strike but, when the ballot was set, there was no choice on the ballot paper to NOT strike, only a choice between two forms of industrial action up to strike. Anyone know enough to confirm or deny?

I also recall reading that EI:

1. was of the opinion that this dispute was technically not a "trade dispute" and would be looking into seeking an injunction to stop a strike taking place. I wonder if they'll go down that road.

2. are not legally bound to make any further contribution

I'm surprised, too, that, given the seriousness of this situation which could escalate quickly, the Transport Minister has not done anything - or maybe I shouldn't be surprised.