PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Review into North Sea offshore helicopter operations announced by CAA
Old 28th Feb 2014, 11:59
Tango123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jimf, you could be right there, every little helps. One of the best things for those afraid of water could even be a scuba diving course but it is unrealistic (not sarcastic ment). On the Nutec courses I have been on, the platform workers are not trained in short-term air supply devices (only the firefighters).

The problem with the HEED (where you get around 3-4 minuts of oxygen) is that it is a plus and a minus. A plus for the guys who can handle a chaotic situation, but not for those who have a tendency of panic in that situation. Many of the guys I fly out, don't like to fly in the first place, don't like to get their head under water (and turned around) and I really don't expect them to be able to handle the ditching properly. I see every time I am in the dunker.

HEED is not going to help these guys, it can have an adverse affect, where they try to remember what to do, in the right order; not being able to, and trying to use the HEED and relying on it, they are not holding their breath, and then it's over.....

I would certainly say that all pilots should have it, not only to get out (that's easy with our emergency exits), but that extra oxygen could give us an opportunity to dive and look for passengers, if the helicopter stays at the surface (which most do for while).

I have tried HEED, not sure if I can recommend it for ALL the passengers.

Last edited by Tango123; 28th Feb 2014 at 12:18.