PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farnborough Airspace Proposal
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2014, 20:06
b1obthebuilder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farnborough TAG Airspace grab

Below is a copy of a letter I wrote to Boris. Prompted by the latest proposals of Farnborough to make better use of 'their' airspace.

I'd be interest to hear the thought of Private flyers. Also encourage you to stand up for your airspace.

-------------------------------------
Dear Sir

I am writing to regarding the future issues that are arising out of the need for more airport capacity in the South East of England.

I am prompted to write to you after reading a proposal for the future expansion of controlled airspace proposed by the operators of Farnborough Airport.
The operators of Farnborough understandibly wish to have more airspace under their control for their convenience. However this will be at the expense of every other general aviation activity. More importantly is the issue of air safety which will be severely compromised due to the funnel effect of general aviation having to pass through narrow corridors around the proposed airspace grab. This is already a chronic problem.

I would like to offer a solution which I believe be beneficial for everybody - Commercial and private aviation, local communities and land based transport in the South East. The solution is to build a new airport to the East of London as has been already proposed although perhaps nearer to London. This would be for the use of large intercontinental and cargo aircraft.

Secondly I suggest the existing Heathrow airport to remain but be scaled back. Operations at Farnborough, Manston, London City and perhaps Luton or Stansted could be combined and operate out of Heathrow. This provides immediate improved space, facilities and ground based access for these operators and their customers.

This would be advantageous to everybody for the following reasons:

1. Airspace traffic control and its flight paths will be hugely simplified.

2. A large proportion of flights will be over the North Sea instead of overland. Particularly when large aircraft are at low altitude in the approach to landing. This alone would provide a multitude of benefits.

3. Aerodromes such as Farnborough and Manston can be scaled back and provide opportunities for housing or light industry. I.e local jobs for local people.

4. General aviation does not tend to use airspace in the North Sea. Therefore it will conflict far less with airline traffic if the East London proposal went ahead. Most importantly, the current controlled airspace taken by Heathrow, London City and Farnborough can be dramatically scaled back. This would eliminate all of the current bottlenecks and funneling of general aviation resulting in; improved safety, no delays requiring holding patterns to be flown, lowered pilot workload, far less noise for those on the ground.

Currently Heathrow is a 'joke' main national airport. This is due to the abysmal ground transport links. There are no fast main line rail links so those arriving by train have to get a bus from the nearest station, e.g Woking, and then spend too much time in the worlds biggest car park i.e the M25. There is not enough space to build the road access that is so badly needed, even before any future expansion.

Moving Heathow to the East of London would eliminate weekday traffic jams of several miles length on the M25. Should an airport be built to the East of London then fast efficient rail and road networks are absolutely essential. The overall effect would be a huge benefit to everyone, the environment and the economy.