PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 27th Feb 2014, 18:47
Feathers McGraw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something made me look quite hard at Sid's pictures of the fuel display, and I find that there's something bothering me.

The display for the supply tanks has the black rectangle with the digital quantity very close to the top of the blue 'fuel' indication area. The thin blue strip around the outside of this box is not very obvious.

The difference between the levels being full and roughly half full is thus only the presence or lack of these thin blue stripes, together with a change in a couple of small digital values.

Does this make the supply tank gauges prone to misinterpretation? I'm thinking that with 76kg showing in the main (assuming it was) that a reducing level in each supply tank could result in enough blue showing that it appears normal with the exception of those narrow blue areas at the top and sides.

I would say that it would be more sensible for the digital display in the black rectangle to be placed so that a much larger area of blue shows above it with full supply tanks. When that blue area starts reducing it would be a visual cue well before any low fuel warning occurs.

Of course, if the display were blank in this crash this suggestion is irrelevant, but I think my question is valid in terms of making the display of fuel levels in the supply tanks more obvious.