PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guys, gimme a sample of your PA
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2003, 07:34
Georgeablelovehowindia
Death Cruiser Flight Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep it straight, keep it simple and don't try to be amusing. Once upon a time there was freedom in such matters, but I find increasingly there are passengers who are prepared to write in and complain: 'The pilot said ...' (My airline was once involved in out of court settlements totalling close to £100,000, yes that's One Hundred Thousand Hundred Pounds, for the 'distress' caused by a pa from the flight deck.)

Small wonder that when I positioned as passenger on a well-known and respected airline, on an eight hour flight, the sole announcement from the flight deck, pre-start, was: 'Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, this is the captain. (Note, no name mentioned.) Welcome aboard (.......) flight to (........) Information on our flight today is the moving map display, which you will find on channel 9 of your IFE located in the armrest of your seat. I hope you enjoy your flight with us and I leave you in the capable hands of our cabin crew.' How sad, but I could see the point.

Don't say: 'Afraid.' (As in: 'Ladies and gentlemen, I'm afraid that...) Some wassock will write in and say: 'The pilot said he was afraid.' Yes, honestly. Of course you will find yourself saying this constantly now. Join the club ...

Yep, there's a lot to be said for: 'Half-Way!' (Without prejudice.)