PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows makeover for 2014.
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2014, 16:21
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hangarshuffle
For the last time, we do not need and should not fund out of taxpayers cash a bloody flying club when the money could be used properly for real UK defence.
You are at risk of coming across as a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

‘taxpayers cash’
As a taxpayer (and civilian), I am entirely happy that part of the tax I pay goes towards the very reasonable Red Arrows budget and would be very disappointed, appalled actually, if the funding ceased. There are numerous other things upon which taxpayers’ money is spent/wasted which I’d prefer to see go first. I believe that the overwhelming majority of tax-payers share my view.

‘a bloody flying club’
Perhaps in describing what is unarguably one of the finest aerobatic teams in the world, and arguably the finest, in that rather curious way you have inadvertently stumbled upon a good fund-raising idea.
I organised a silent auction at a formal dinner last October to raise funds for charity. The winning bid - for a ride in a Spitfire - was £4747. I suspect there are many people who are able and would be willing to pay far more than that for a flight with the Red Arrows.

More seriously, during a speech at The Honourable Company of Air Pilots' Banquet last week I said this:
We enjoy close and active relationships with our many Affiliated Units in all three armed services, including Reserve and Cadet units. I hope their representatives will forgive me for mentioning just one by name: the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team.
The Red Arrows celebrate their 50th display season this year. We congratulate them upon their anniversary and hope that, for many years to come, they will continue to enthral millions of people all over the world with their magnificent displays.
I'm not able to say whether every one of the 420+ people present joined in the immediate and very enthusiastic round of applause showing their agreement, but the volume suggested that the overwhelming majority agreed. The RAF was well represented but so were the other armed services and there were also many civilians present - members, official guests and members' guests.

I’m pleased that Wg Cdr Neil Fraser, OC Red Arrows Squadron, was present to hear the overwhelming support and, I hope, related it to the team.

Tudor Owen

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 27th Feb 2014 at 16:37.