PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 27th Feb 2014, 13:21
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
If I may explain a few things;

There is no mention here about the term 'Alarm'. There are only 2 terms relevant here, 'Warning' and 'Caution'. The definitions of those terms in relation to the EC 135 are clearly explained in the Flight Manual and have been quoted recently.

When the Warning for low fuel comes on, you are instructed to Land Within 10 minutes. In theory, in the worst case scenario, with the lights coming on at 26 kgs in number 1 & 22 kgs in number 2 supply tanks, if you landed after exactly 10 minutes flying time, you would have 5 minutes for number 1 and 3 minutes for number 2 remaining before they flamed out.

(200 kgs/hr; 3.33 kgs/min; each engine on its own supply 1.7 kgs/min)

Here's a pic, thanks to the wonders of the internet;

In the case of SPAO, if we are to assume that with all the displays working correctly & telling the correct information this is what was presented.
Why on Earth would anyone fly for 15 minutes with a system showing you this Christmas tree full of cautions and warnings, after at least 4 gongs and at least 5 caution/master cautions, when you know that you should land within 10?

(Please realise that in SPAO the main tank should have been reading 96-76 kgs, the green PITOT advisory would be on, it was night and 2 qualified police observers would also be able to see the displays and more than likely would have read the FRC's)

I've tried to be helpful, cooperative and explain the facts and details as clearly as possible, but it seems as though some just want an argument.

I think this last pic is about all I can bring to the party.
'Til the next report then ...

Last edited by Senior Pilot; 27th Feb 2014 at 19:38. Reason: Fix photo link