PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2014, 09:15
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Engines, while the uncommanded ejection came first, followed by the failure of the drogue to separate man from seat with a deployed chute, I still maintain that the accident (the death of the pilot) was caused by the latter and contributed to by the former.
The MOD (aka the MAAIB, aka the MAA) by presenting it as they did obscured the direct link to the malevolent sabotage of Airworthiness Provision in the "Golden Period". That is why there was no Safety Case, that is why they cannot trace the MB alert, that is why the shackle bolt was jammed in the scissor jaws, that is why Sean Cunningham died.
Even if we take their version, the inadvertent ejection was caused by a known design problem which others testify here to being made aware of, yet nothing was done to rectify it and it remained an accident waiting to happen. It was a danger to the aircraft occupant, ie the seat was unairworthy, and once again it did not have a Safety Case.
So Sean Cunningham's death was caused by an airworthiness related accident, under the auspices of the UK Military Airworthiness Authority which hasn't been fit for purpose since the late 80s. Enough testimony has been laid before us in PPRuNe Military Air Accident Threads to know why that is and what must be done to resolve it (separation of the MAA and MAAIB from the MOD and from each other). Time is of the essence, because more accidents and more deaths will follow until that resolution occurs. Avoidable accidents and needless deaths!
Self Regulation Doesn't Work, and in Aviation It Kills!

PS excellent post aa62, I hope I have answered some of your queries at least.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 27th Feb 2014 at 09:38.