PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 26th Feb 2014, 18:03
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jekyll and Hyde.

Wiki - Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is the original title of a novella written by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson that was first published in 1886.

The circumstances under which Doc Liddell departed the CASA fix have not, as yet been examined in any great depth. The saga of the Avmed decline seems to stem from that time, to the point where every medical could potentially wind up with an AAT hearing, it seems it's not just the CVD group having to struggle. One of the best ideas floated has been the notion that an 'independent peer review panel', made up of past and present Avmed qualified types could be made available to provide some expert sanity for those afflicted by the present system. Seems to be a unnecessary last resort in a sane world, but speaks volumes for DAME opinion of the current regime.

I did manage some light reading of other transport disciplines which require medical certifications; Road - Rail - Sea.

Road:- Part B – 10.2.6. - Rail. 22.2.3. Colour vision. - Sea Part B Medical standards : Section 3 Eyes/vision.

AMSA even have a sensible pro forma certificate.

You can draw your own conclusions, but for mine, I like the way the AMSA 'operate'. There's not a lot difference in situation between theirs than the aviation scenario; and aviation has the benefit of different altitude separation, not so at sea. The calm, practical methodology of the AMSA has not been infected by the 'myth' of air safety; their requirements and approach to the task reflect the lack of safety hysteria, notable in all other forms of transport – bar aviation. There is also a considerable difference in the number of times the AMSA wind up in court or Tribunal. Perhaps sanity may be found within the ranks of the home grown AMSA safety experts; save us a few airfares, AAT hearings and Senate inquiries.