PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2014, 17:50
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Private enterprises come and go all the time. It's an evolutionary process and it works remarkably well in most cases. And private enterprise generally gets to "play" with money from investors who voluntarily part with their cash understanding the risks and possible returns. Governments are playing with taxpayer and future taxpayer funds. I don't want the government investing in an airline. Let me keep my money and I'll spend it elsewhere. A question to ask is: "If private investors run away from the option to provide additional funds to Qantas, then what makes the gummint think it can make money from the venture?" It can't unless it tilts the playing field heavily in its favour with regulations, which then detrimentally impacts every other aviation corporation.

Qantas has done exceptionally well to last this long. 3/4's of the time under protective government mandates. (There's a case to be made for arguing 100% of the time under protective government mandates.) There are not many organisations that can boast likewise. Should Qantas go under, there will be a huge market opportunity for another company or companies to step into.

Last edited by Lodown; 26th Feb 2014 at 20:49.