PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Review into North Sea offshore helicopter operations announced by CAA
Old 26th Feb 2014, 14:58
somesuch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks JimL. It all makes perfect sense to me, and if we worked in an industry run by rational people, rather than lawyers, I would be less concerned. The problem is that, at the moment, only a CAP has been published. This isn't legislation and has no legal authority for non-UK operators. One would hope that the CAA is lobbying its colleagues around the North Sea to see similar limitations applied, but nothing is currently evident to us outside those meetings. I have no argument with the fact that other jurisdictions are using EBS, including Canada, and have been for several years. However, we (the UK) weren't willing to learn from other peoples mistakes in the past, and now seem to be trying to frantically catch up in a rather uncoordinated way. How will UK AOC holders be able to compete with their European competitors if we have to apply some pretty significant limitations. I do hope that your view is the one that prevails, ie that EBS can be acquired, trained for and put in place in the next 7 weeks. I am just not so convinced that it is achievable in reality. I guess only time will tell. In the meantime, I'm off to the pub. Thanks for you perspective though.